Sunday, December 4, 2011

A bottle Bacardi Select Puerto Rico Rum and it is Saturday… what should I do?

Just got back from making my rounds, I took goodies to my neighbors. I baked this weekend. I made Cherry Rum Balls, Truffles, and Holiday Chocolate Rum Balls. I also made 6 small loaves of Beer bread. 4 with Heineken and 2 with Pumpkin Ale and Molasses Butter Rum cookies. I will share the recipes with you.


It took me all day to do all this and part of today. But it was so much fun.

Photobucket

I made a huge mess while baking, I always do. But your not really having fun if you don’t make a mess.

Molasses Butter Rum Cookies

Photobucket

1 cup of butter, softened

¼ c Molasses

2 tablespoons white sugar

2 cups all-purpose flour

¼ teaspoon salt (I omit salt when I bake)

2 ½ teaspoons rum

Powdered sugar

Cream the first three ingredients, sift in the flour and salt. Blend in rum. Shape into balls – grape size (my grapes where pretty big). Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 18 minutes. sprinkle on powered sugar to coat while still warm. – Makes 6 dozen

Beer Bread

Photobucket

3 cups plus 2 teaspoons self-rising flour, divided

3 tablespoons sugar

3 tablespoons melted butter

1 –(12 oz) can or bottle of beer

Coat 9x5 loaf pan with cooking spray and lightly coat with 2 teaspoons of flour. Set aside

Combine flour and butter in a bowl, stir well, and make a well in the center of the mixture. Add the melted butter and beer, stir in just until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cook 5 minutes in the pan before moving to a wire rack to cool completely. Cut into 8 slices.

I love mine with a hot bowl of chili. So yummy.

Holiday Chocolate Rum Balls

Photobucket

3 – (9”) layers chocolate cake

½ cup of fudge sauce

¾ cup rum (mine needed more it wasn’t mixing well, I added a full cup)

24 oz of semi-sweet chocolate chips (I would have 36 oz, I ran out of chocolate, I half a batch in my freezer still.)

Chocolate Sprinkles

Crumble cake into bowl. Mix in Fudge and rum. Mix into a paste. Roll into balls and freeze. (They won’t freeze solid because of the liquor, mine spend 4 hours in the freezer today and where firm but not stiff). Melt Chocolate chips, follow directions on package (I did mine in a fondue pot) Dip Balls in Chocolate and roll in sprinkles.

Can keep Frozen.

I want to try this recipe with Red Velvet cake and Cream cheese instead of Fudge and white chocolate chips. With the Rum can you imagine the richness?

Let me know if you try a different cake with this. What do you think? I bet carrot cake and cream cheese might make a good combo too. For those of use that can’t do chocolate.

Truffles

Approximately 4 cups of powdered sugar

1 (8 oz) package of cream cheese, softened

5 (1 oz) squares of unsweetened chocolate, melted

1 teaspoon of rum

Topping of choose – sugar, powered sugar, coconut, nuts, ect…

Slowly mix sugar and cream cheese, add chocolate and rum. Mix Well. Chill several hours. Shape into 1 inch balls. Roll in topping of choose.

Store in refrigerator.

Makes about 4 dozen

Cherry Rum Balls

Photobucket

2 lbs plus 8 oz of vanilla wafers (40 oz), (4 boxes will be needed)

2 cups powdered sugar

2 cups of coconut

½ cup corn syrup

1 cup sweet cherries

1 cup rum (again I needed a little more the cookies soaked up the rum fast. I ended up and 1 ¼ cups)

Drain cherries and chop. Mix all ingredients, except powdered sugar well. Shape into 1 inch balls and roll in powdered sugar.

Makes 100-125 balls.

Store in covered container. These cookies age well.

Hope you enjoy my treats. My neighbors sure seemed to enjoy them. This is what I did with my bottle of rum, sure I could have drank it, but then I wouldn’t have felt so good today, would have felt great yesterday though. I think this was more fun, and I still have about a 1/3 a bottle of rum left. Move over Coke I found another use for rum.

No comments:

Post a Comment