Saturday, January 26, 2013

Wal-Mart

I know I have said it over and over and I will say it over and over again. I HATE Wal-Mart. Everyone raves and raves about how much money you can save shopping at Wal-Mart. I decided to take the Wal-Mart challenge. Last week I went to Fry’s a Kroger Brand store here in Phoenix, AZ. I took my grocery list and made it very specific.

3lbs ground beef
Chicken Breast 2 packages
Pork Chops
Bacon
Dz. Large Eggs
2 Gallons of milk
bell peppers
spring onions
cucumbers
avocados
3-1lb spring salad mix containers
Cream cheese
Frozen veggies
Fresh fish
Corn Beef brisket
A head of cabbage
Salad dressing
Cat litter 20 lb bags
2 package of lunch meat
14 Cans of Soft Cat food
Season packages
2 gallons of spring water
Shredded cheese

I know an item or 2 got in there too. I can’t remember what they were. I spent $164, ouch!
I went to Wally and got the same items minus shredded cheese and bacon – Wal-Mart will not honor buy 1 get 1 free or percentages off. I knew about the percentage thing.
3lbs ground beef
Chicken Breast 2 packages
Pork Chops
18 ct Large Eggs
2 Gallons of milk
bell peppers
spring onions
cucumbers
avocados
3-1lb spring salad mix containers
Cream cheese
Frozen veggies
Fresh fish
Corn Beef brisket
A head of cabbage
Salad dressing
Cat litter 30 lb bags
2 package of lunch meat
10 Cans of Soft Cat food
Season packages
2 gallons of spring water

I know what snuck in my cart this week, a box of ring pops for when I have that sugar craving I can’t get away from, 2 plant saucers to use as water dishes for Sammie, 2 cute little plant hanger critters, you know the ones that hang to the side of the pot, I got a turtle and a frog. I got a movie out of the movie bin for $5, Aaron got a video game, I got 2 magazine organizer bins in pink, a note pad, 2 packages of Nerf dart gun refill pack, package of baby wipes, 16 lb of cat dry cat food, mustard, ketchup, cider vinegar, 1 pablano pepper and a Glow in the Dark Skylander figure.

I spend 194.00 at Wal-mart. $30 more, but look at all that I bought, the video game was $20 by itself, and the Skylander toy was $10. There is my $30.

So I admit, I still HATE Wal-Mart, but I also admit, Wal-Mart is cheaper, I easily would have spent over $220 if I had bought all this same stuff at Fry’s. I would have had to gone to Petsmart for the dry cat food. There I will have spend $12-13 on it, I paid $10.99 at Wal-Mart price matching. I do have to go to Safeway tomorrow and get the cheese and bacon still, but that is a small price to pay for the amount of money I saved at Wal-Mart.

Now I have to tell my Dad he was right, Wal-Mart is cheaper to shop at. I just wish I could go and enjoy myself there during the day. I went at 11:30 at night to avoid having to stand in line for half an hour or more. That is why I HATE Wal-Mart so much, the last time I was there buying supplies for back to school, I was in line, arms full of clothes, and note books and such. The line was backed up to the clothing department and running alongside the clothing department 4 or 5 more people. 2 lines where currently open. Then all of a sudden they closed one of the lines. For 10 minutes the line did not more. I set my stuff down on the ground right there were I was standing. I hadn’t really been back again until tonight. My son was in 1st grade on my last visit, he is in 6th grade now. I was looking for a way to tighten my budget without sacrificing eating healthy. So now I am going to shop at Wal-Mart, but only late at night when getting through line won’t take me all day.

2 comments:

  1. Lol....I feel your pain.....Wal-Mart has bought inot our market here...but they haven't been advertising as walmart. Still....for your reasons, I too tend to avoid the pseudo walmart unless I absolutely have no other choice. Unfortunately we don't have stores open at 11pm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dislike them as well and won't shop there but because of the way they treat their employees here and how the people who make their goods overseas are treated in the factories. There's a reason Walmart can sell things so cheaply, and it's not pretty.

    However, there's only the hubby & me (& the cat!), so our grocery bills are relatively inexpensive. I can see why someone buying food or other products for a family larger than mine would want or need to shop there.

    - Lisa N.

    ReplyDelete